[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

Stu Greene wa2moe@firstinter.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:48:35 -0700

At 03:24 PM 2/11/02 -0800, Randall Williamson wrote:

>To be very technical airplanes are work hardening and stress cracking
>and breaking down that is why there is a maximum hour limit on the
>airframe.

I had a ride on a B-17G built in 1944 just a few years ago.  It had flown
over thirty combat missions with the Eighth Air Force according to its Form
One, the aircraft's log, and has been  flying around the country for years.

We  used B-52s, in Afghanistan, which were built in the 1960s.  Pre-war
aircraft are flown all over the world. Commercial 707s, DC8s and 727s and
older 747s have been flying for years.

Maybe someone else has seen an hour limit on fuselage or beams, but I
haven't.

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----