[TowerTalk] Re: Carbon Resistors Beverage Terminations

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:42:22 -0800

Hi Don,

You must have been absent from class on the day they taught Ohms Law.  I have
NO IDEA where you ever got the notion that the power rating of a string
resistors or a parallel combination is equal to only the power rating of the
lowest single resistor.  Absolutely not true.  Each resistor in the network
will dissipate power in inverse proportion to its resistance.  If it is a
series string of identical values, like 10 each 47 Ohm resistors, each one
will dissiate 1 tenth of the total power.  Ten half watt resistors can EACH
dissipate a half watt, or 5 watts total.  Two 1000 Ohm resistors in parallel
(or any other identical value for two parallel resistors) will each dissipate
equal power.  If the resistors are rated at 2 Watts each, then the parallel
combination will dissipate 4 Watts.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com