[TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:44:08 -0500

On 2/12/02 10:48 AM, K7LXC@aol.com at K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>    You mean fall arrest lanyard (as opposed to a positioning lanyard)? Any
>suitable (and legal) lanyard is fine - your chances of actually having to
>take advantage of it is really small. But having the shock absorbing feature
>may give you more peace of mind since you'll be taking less forces and
>stresses.

Steve didn't describe it, but a fall arrest lanyard has a portion of its
length that is "gathered" in many folds. This is where the shock
absorbing portion is. The instructions on my lanyard mention that this
portion should be connected to the harness, not the tower.

If you look at modern seat belts, you'll note they have a double fold,
usually near the fastening mechanism. This fold allows the seat belt to
give way under high loads without letting go.

The shock absorbing lanyard works the same way. If you fall hard enough
to invoke it, some of the gathers come undone, disappating the force of
the fall.

>    If you're asking the question - you must be thinking about the pros and
>cons. I'd go with whatever you feel comfortable with. It's sorta like a fall
>arrest harness - once you've used one you won't go back to a waist-only
>safety belt.

I wouldn't think of climbing without one.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----