[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

Steve Maki steve@oakcom.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:10:45 -0500

AA4LR wrote:

>I stand by my assertion that a properly designed and maintained aluminum
>structure has no reason to "work harden" or otherwise fail.

I don't think anyone is arguing with that. Any item that
fails in normal service is either not properly designed,
or not properly built.

However, aluminum IS much more subject to work hardening
than steel, and that fact must be taken into account during
the design process.

And when it IS taken into account, the product, when considering
structural products like towers, ends up being very much more
expensive than the comparable steel item.

Disagree?

--
Steve K8LX

Order online at http://store.eham.net.