[TowerTalk] Vertical and ground-radial question?

Don Havlicek n8de@thepoint.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:28:29 -0500

Comments inserted below:

Eddy Avila wrote:

> This for the antenna prognosticators......
>
> I have up in my backyard a ground-mounted Butternut hf2v 80/40 vertical with
> 24 buried radials of various lengths, none of which are of the "optimum"
> lenght, unfortunately. But it works fairly well beating my dipole most of
> the time. (Yes, I know, the dipole at 20' off the ground....well, sucks!!)
>
> Anyways, my questions is: the wife wants me to cover the entire area above
> the ground radials with chicken wire so the gophers and moles will bump into
> the chicken wire instead of digging up to the surface, so should I bond all
> the chicken wire together and bond it to the ground-radial system??? Will
> this help my signal any? Or may be making things worse?

A ground screen will help a lot; however, those MOLES are eating the
grubs in your yard.  Get rid of the moles and your grass will suffer.
[Yeah, I know that those tunnels look ugly!].  The only other way to get
rid of the moles is to get rid of the grubs .. topical application of a
good insecticide will do wonders .. but it will also poison the ground
water ... shhhhhhhhhh .. I didn't say that!
And .. a .22 caliber with a good aiming eye will eliminate the gophers!