[TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80

py4ro@ig.com.br py4ro@ig.com.br
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:09:31 -0300

Dear Kelly,

I have used the HF2V from 1995 to 1997 and when it was elevated 10 ft with a
few radials it was a killer on 40m and a good antenna on 80m. In 1997 I
decided to replaced it with dipoles for both bands... I lost tx but the rx
improved a lot.

The HF2V is similar to your HF6V since it is base loaded for 80, isn´t it?
But see that a vertical antenna has a low radiation angle and for short
distances it is not a good antenna (even for transmission)... That is the
reason many hams prefer dipoles for in-house contests. W0AIH is close to
you?? About 1000 km?? If that is the case it is normal!!! I used to hear São
Paulo from Rio with weak signals using the HF2V... a low dipole was a much
better performer for that job.

Well, unless you have a regular receiveing antenna, I DO prefer dipoles even
for dx contacts.

There is an article (QST or Antenna Compendium) that an american ham
describes an elevated HF6V with shortned radials. If I am not wrong he
achieved the DXCC on 40 and 80 with this setup.

Good luck!

73 Carlos PY4RO (ex PY1CAS ex PT2HO)

Em 18 Feb 2002, Jim Miller escreveu:

>Kelly;
>
>The HF-2V Manual shows two lengths of top-loading wires that may be added
>to enhance 80 meter performance.
>Is this noted in the back of the HF-6V Manual?
>If so, I suggest you add three TL wires and see an improvement.
>
>How many radials are installed now? A minimum of 30, (and preferably 60)
>radials should be a starting point for good performance, some at least
>50'-60' each for 80 meters.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Jim Miller, K4SQR
>http://www.comteksystems.com
>4-Square Experts, Stack Yagi
>& Remote Antenna Switching Systems
>
>On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:10:52 -0600 Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@shaw.ca> writes:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an HF6V, which I realize, despite all Butternut's
>> protestations to
>> the contrary, is really just a base-loaded vertical on 80. It's
>> ground-mounted.
>>
>> It SUCKS on 80! And I have a not bad ground system under it. I know
>> that
>> improving the ground system will help somewhat, but I'm afraid the
>> difference won't be enough. It will elevate it from being a
>> ABSOLUTELY AWFUL
>> 80 meter antenna to being merely a NOT QUITE ABSOLUTELY AWFUL 80
>> meter
>> antenna. Either way, it's still awful. (Sorry for all these
>> technical
>> terms.)
>>
>> (How bad is it? Let's just say that I have trouble being heard by
>> W0AIH.)
>>
>> Has anyone compared a ground-mounted HF6V to one that is elevated
>> with
>> elevated radials?
>>
>> Or does anyone have any other ideas, short of discounting the HF6V
>> as an
>> 80-meter antenna altogether and buying a W1XT?
>>
>> 73,kelly
>> ve4xt

>> Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?
>> The
>> same place that pays for the hosting of this list: The eHam Store.
>> Order online at http://store.eham.net.
>>
>> -----
>> FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
>> Submissions: towertalk@contesting.com
>> Administrative requests: towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com
>> Problems: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
>>

>Jim Miller, K4SQR
>http://www.comteksystems.com
>4-Square Experts, Stack Yagi
>& Remote Antenna Switching Systems

>Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes? The
>same place that pays for the hosting of this list: The eHam Store.
>Order online at http://store.eham.net.
>
>-----
>FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
>Submissions: towertalk@contesting.com