[TowerTalk] Stepp IR antenna, ie Non-traditional antenna designs

Jeff Battin jbattin@starband.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:03:41 -0800

Hi Pete,

You are right; it is just a yagi with adjustable elements. My statement may
have been too bold but if you compare it to other 3 element triband yagis
with the same boom length (16ft) the Fuildmotion has the advantage of being
optimized for the operating frequency in real time. Most other triband yagis
designs compromise to obtain the desired bandwidth. I am hoping they come
out with a short 40-meter model.
I do not want to stir up a hornet nest by restating it is better. I do not
have the data to back it up and only time will tell the reliability. I can
restate that this antenna works very well and I am happy with it to date.  I
would love to see it added to the next release of the K7XLC tribander
comparison report to see if my opinion is right.

Best Regards,
Jeff - Ko7p

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Smith [mailto:n4zr@contesting.com]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 3:30 AM
To: Jeff Battin
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Stepp IR antenna, ie Non-traditional antenna
designs

At 06:52 PM 2/17/02 -0800, Jeff wrote:

>This antenna has performed and "I believe" it will outperform other
>commercial yagis with a similar boom length. To date the company has
>provided great support. If all goes well in the next few months I am going
>to take down my 4-element 20-meter beam and stack a pair of the
>FluidMotions.
>
>Here is a couple photo's of my installation:
>
>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ko7p/slideshow?&.dir=/fluidmotion&.src=ph&.view=

Isn't this really just a clever mechanical variation on a traditional
antenna design?  From what I can see, it's just a yagi with fixed spacing
and adjustable element lengths, so it should work like a monobander with
the same boom length.  No hexbeam magic here... why do you think it will
"OUTperform" commercial yagis?

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower