[TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:46:50 -0600

The HF2V manual also warns that if too much Top Loading is
used, 40M operation is impaired.  I expect ANY top loading will
make an HF6V unusable on the higher bands.  Basically,
the best solution is a dedicated 80M vertical.

As I have said many times,  the MFJ 1792 80 / 40 vertical
is a good dual band choice with it's Top Loading / isolating
coil and 80M top hat and reasonable price ($160).

Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 Jim Miller <k4sqr@juno.com> writes:

> Kelly;
>
> The HF-2V Manual shows two lengths of top-loading wires that may be
> added
> to enhance 80 meter performance.
> Is this noted in the back of the HF-6V Manual?
> If so, I suggest you add three TL wires and see an improvement.
>
> How many radials are installed now? A minimum of 30, (and preferably
> 60)
> radials should be a starting point for good performance, some at
> least
> 50'-60' each for 80 meters.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Jim Miller, K4SQR
> http://www.comteksystems.com
> 4-Square Experts, Stack Yagi
> & Remote Antenna Switching Systems
>

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:10:52 -0600 Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@shaw.ca>
> writes:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an HF6V, which I realize, despite all Butternut's
> > protestations to
> > the contrary, is really just a base-loaded vertical on 80. It's
> > ground-mounted.
> >
> > It SUCKS on 80! And I have a not bad ground system under it. I
> know
> > that
> > improving the ground system will help somewhat, but I'm afraid the
> > difference won't be enough. It will elevate it from being a
> > ABSOLUTELY AWFUL
> > 80 meter antenna to being merely a NOT QUITE ABSOLUTELY AWFUL 80
> > meter
> > antenna. Either way, it's still awful. (Sorry for all these
> > technical
> > terms.)
> >
> > (How bad is it? Let's just say that I have trouble being heard by
> > W0AIH.)
> >
> > Has anyone compared a ground-mounted HF6V to one that is elevated
> > with
> > elevated radials?
> >
> > Or does anyone have any other ideas, short of discounting the HF6V
>
> > as an
> > 80-meter antenna altogether and buying a W1XT?
> >
> > 73,kelly
> > ve4xt

> > Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?
> > The
> > same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam
> Store.
> > Order online at http://store.eham.net.

> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
> >

> Jim Miller, K4SQR
> http://www.comteksystems.com
> 4-Square Experts, Stack Yagi
> & Remote Antenna Switching Systems

> Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?
> The
> same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam Store.
> Order online at http://store.eham.net.
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.