[TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80

Randall Williamson ac7nj@yahoo.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:27:00 -0800

Kelly,
I have a butternut HF6Vx I mounted it in the ground and still needed
radials for 40 and 80. Lets face it Verticals need radials. I have now
moved it to the roof with tuned elevated radials (not as many just (5) 4
from twin TV leed and 1 #14 copper for 80M) and it works well but I
think you can't have too many radials I also bonded the base to the
metal roof on the patio and 3 foot #4 copper wire and it decoupled it a
little but improved 80M so I left it that way

Randy
AC7NJ

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Kelly Taylor
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 10:11 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80

Hi,

I have an HF6V, which I realize, despite all Butternut's protestations
the contrary, is really just a base-loaded vertical on 80. It's
ground-mounted.

It SUCKS on 80! And I have a not bad ground system under it. I know that
improving the ground system will help somewhat, but I'm afraid the
difference won't be enough. It will elevate it from being a ABSOLUTELY
AWFUL
80 meter antenna to being merely a NOT QUITE ABSOLUTELY AWFUL 80 meter
antenna. Either way, it's still awful. (Sorry for all these technical
terms.)

(How bad is it? Let's just say that I have trouble being heard by
W0AIH.)

Has anyone compared a ground-mounted HF6V to one that is elevated with
elevated radials?

Or does anyone have any other ideas, short of discounting the HF6V as an
80-meter antenna altogether and buying a W1XT?

73,kelly
ve4xt

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----