[TowerTalk] U Bolts for TX-2 Rotor

Roger Borowski Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:35:33 -0500

Torque wrenches can take the human "feel" error out of the equation, but most
people will not go through the extra effort to use one. Actually Stainless
Steel falls in an area between Grade 5 and Grade 8, and in fact, is closer to
Grade 8 as far as tensile strength. The slick surface of SS, when lubricated,
is slicker than snot and thus doesn't "feel" like you are applying enough
tension, when in fact, you have may have already exceeded the yield strength of
the fastener.
An additional consideration in using Stainless Steel hardware is the need to
double-nut each fastener for security as lockwashers don't have the desired
effect on the slippery lubricated threads of a Stainless Steel fastener. A
thread locking compound used on Stainless Steel threaded fasteners will provide
the lubrication needed to prevent galling upon initial assembly but will likely
cause galling problems upon any disassembly attempts and shouldn't be used if
any disassembly is ever anticipated. Even when heated to soften the thread
locking compound, the compound, once set, is more abrasive than slippery and
when the residue starts compounding in the threads, it usually causes friction
and galling to occur. Once this happens, the unfastening torque requirements
also compound and the bolt will snap before it ever comes apart.
Stainless Steel has some unique properties and if the proper precautions are
not taken, undesirable results will occur. When lubricated and then double
nutted when the appropriate tension is achieved, it is impossible to beat the
advantages as far as ease of later disassembly and reassembly, anytime in the
future. Don't lubricate it prior to assembly and it will surely gall and cause
much grief in disassembly or even in achieving ample initial tension for the
application
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-