[TowerTalk] Is the FCC sharp? Is ARRL counsel swift?

Steve Gehring steven.gehring@verizon.net
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 04:35:24 -0800

All,

After eight years of wonderful life in Alaska and Wisconsin, I've been
drawn to the Seattle area to further my telecommunications career.  My
family and I are presently renting a house our first year in the Seattle
area, and are looking to buy a small acreage that will allow
towers/antennas.  Because of this, we're being drawn to the outer reaches
of any possible Seattle (Bellevue, WA) commute.  Right now, in order to
enjoy contesting and DX'ing on a small acreage, my commute would have to be
in the order of 3 to 4 hours a day.  Is it worth it?  I just don't
know...or dare I say, "probably not" considering I have a wife and two kids.

Therefore, I urge EVERY ham to become involved with our national
organizations like the ARRL or RAC, and also your local radio club.  Please
do it.  Do it just keep and further our cause of effective communications
through externally mounted antennas and towers.  If you are a member,
please communicate your intentions concerning this issue to your elected
representatives.  Offer suggestions, and help where you can.  Only through
coordinated action are we going to gain any ground.  I personally believe
this is a major battle that may decide the continued existence of ham
radio, at least HR as we've known it.

Oh, my unobtrusive 4BTV with a minimum of 48 radials goes up tomorrow in my
"large" Seattle area backyard.  I hope the neighbors don't object.  We'll
see.  CU on the air & 73!

Steve Gehring, KZ9G
- a 36 year old, 21 year Ham -