[TowerTalk] Antenna analyzer overload from BC

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 22:43:53 -0800

Hi Pete: you are one of many who have had this problem, including
myself. When I attempted to gamma match my 131 ft crankup on 160, the
259 meter was pinned regardless of what I did. I am 20 miles from the
local BC stations. I went to my old reliable resistance bridge,
sometimes called an "Antenna Scope" when I first saw it described in HR
magazine many years ago. It has been described many times and a version
is in the ARRL antenna book. I have a 250 ohm Ohmite type AB pot in
place of one of the 50 ohm fixed resistors which is calibrated with
various values of resistors on the output. I drive it with an old Tek
190B oscillator. Vary the oscillator freq and the pot until a perfect
null is obtained. You read the feed point resistance from the pot dial
and the resonant freq from the oscillator dial. It works every time and
seems to be bullet proof to BC interference. This resistance reading
gives you a very good idea how effective your radial system is. If you
see less than 40 ohms for a 1/4 wave vertical, you have a very efficient
radial system.
  Unfortunately, this rig is awfully cumbersome to carry up your tower
but it was done once to solve a difficult problem, Hi. 73, Dan, N5AR