[TowerTalk] Low Loss Coax

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:33:58 EST

george.shaw@ukf.net writes:

> What is the minimum static bending radius on coax. Very few give that
>  detail.

    It's typically six times the diameter so the minimum bending radius for
1/2" coax would be three inches. I probably wouldn't stress foam-filled coax
that much due to the potential for foam cold-flow problems.

>  And how do you deal with an installation of say LM-600 that has to
>  go horizontally then vertically (from the 12th floor apartment to the roof
@
>  15th floor)? Is it OK to fit a 90 degree connector?

    Sure. But if you can put something under it to protect it from the sharp
edge as it crosses the edge of the roof, then you don't really need the 90
degree connector.

>  What sort of loss would there be? I have hear mention of 1.5db per
connector?

    It's not that much. Andrew, the Heliax people, use 0.2 dB per connector
in their loss calcs. According to some guys on TT it's even less than that.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech