[TowerTalk] Re: Aluminum Masts

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:52:45 -0500

> Aluminum is a appropriate material to use for many purposes, including
> masts, towers, airplanes. The suitability for a given purpose is
> controlled by the DESIGN, not the material.

I'm delighted to see someone point out the real issue.

The issue is the *design*.

I have aluminum masts here that, if they were steel, you would
never be able to work with them. They are as strong or slightly
stronger than the bending moment of the tower top area above the
last guy line. They are lighter weight than steel for the same
strength..so why do I need steel?

If steel was better in weight vs strength, you would see it used in
race cars and airplanes. We all agree if weight in NOT important
steel is a wise choice, but someone has to lift that mast over the
tower!

Let's not proclaim steel better than aluminum just because of raw
material strength!!! There is much more than that to the problem.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com