[TowerTalk] Open wire line question

john-k1rc@juno.com john-k1rc@juno.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:03:09 -0500

Hi all,

I was watching some tape segments of some past
military operations, which included scenes of a
"communications center". (enough said about that)

I saw some segments of openwire feedline which
piqued my interest.

The open wire line was a 3-conductor type.
>From what I could gather to see and trying to
figure out dimensions, it looked like each of the
spreaders were about 8 inches long and the
conductors were solid copper. Spacing looked
to be about 2 ft.

One conductor was at each end of the spreader
and a 3rd conductor at the center of the spreader.

I've never had any experience with 3 conductor
open wire line and none of my shelf of reference
books mention anything about.

Has anyone out there used or has any idea as
to what type of antennas use this configuration?

The only thing I can conjure (sp) up is a
"3-legged center fed zepp with the horizontal
sections spread at 120 degrees".

I wonder how that type would model???

Any ideas on where to find info on this type of
antenna -if one actually exists??

Thanks for the BW,

John,   K1RC,   nr Boston Ma.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!