[TowerTalk] Remote antenna switches

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:07:30 -0500

Hi Bill,

> I've recently begun installing the PolyPhaser flange mount coax
> blocking protectors (IS-B50HU-C0 ~ Broadband dc Blocked Protector for
> Freq. Range: 1.5-400MHz, and IS-B50LU-C1-ME ~ Broadband dc Blocked
> Protector for Freq. Range: 50-700MHz ).
>
> The installation has negated the use of my HeathKit remote coax
> switch, since it uses a DC switching scheme at the tower via the coax.

Why use a DC blocked protector? The DC blocking will do next to
nothing for lightning protection if it passes HF signals without a
SWR bump. Lightning is a time-varying pulse, not DC. The DC
energy content is actually not very high in lightning.

> I'd still like to use some method of remote antenna switching....can
> anyone inform me of another unit that doesn't rely on the above DC
> switching scheme through the coax and offer some thoughts on the unit
> reliability?

Then try an Ameritron RCS-8, but remember you have to suitably
protect or better yet disconnect the cables if you want real lightning
protection.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

Order online at http://store.eham.net.