[TowerTalk] Shunt feed Tower

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:20:41 -0800

Hi Randy: Will the tower have a yagi on top? How tall is it? You do not
have to insulate the tower base. You need something to connect the coax
shield to at the base of the tower. If you can drive a few ground rods
at the base you can make it work but efficiency will not be very high.
If you can connect the fence and metal roof to the ground system it will
help the efficiency. Wires beside the sidewalk or along the borders
connected to the ground rods/coax shield will help. There is a scheme of
making a large "needle" out of a piece of pointed rod and sliding it
along the ground beneath the grass to carry radial wires out from the
tower base that can be used. Even if the wires are not 1/4 wave long,
they will really improve the efficiency. You will probably need to
connect a wire to the tower top or somewhat below it, spaced from the
tower 1-3 feet and drop it down to the base. A gamma or ,more likely a
omega match can be used to match the tower to the coax 50 ohm impedance.
This subject has been discussed at length on this reflector and the
handbooks have info on the subject. 73, Dan, N5AR