[TowerTalk] Loss in Connectors

Steve Gehring steven.gehring@verizon.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:44:04 -0800

Hi Steve,

In my system design of SONET OC-48 and OC-192 telco backbone rings last
year, we used the figure of -0.08 dB for each fusion splice of single mode
fibers at a frequency of 1550 nanometers (nm).  We also figured around -0.1
dB for the other clean, polished, and mechanically sound "non-fusion" type
connections used within buildings, etc.  These were conservative figures,
too.  After several 5.5 KM reels, the splices added up...slowly.  Now, I
just can't believe that the connectors at the freq's we deal with (HF RF
instead of light) could even come near the attenuation of connectors at
light.  This is a supposition on my part, but the data mentioned in the
relayed "senior project" post seem to point this out.

I believe Mr. Tom also pointed this out...

As I believe you said, and the "senior project" made mention of, let's make
sure our RF connections are clean, mechanically sound, and
weatherproofed!  BTW, water and contaminant ingress in fiber splice cases
(just like rf connectors and cables), causes large losses.  In many
regards, RF and light transmission lines are alike.

Here's that measured connector loss link again:

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/199609/0345.html

Also, I look forward to meeting you at a future WWDXA meeting.  I'm in the
Bothell area now, and would sure like to make a mtg soon.

Interesting topic!

73 de Steve, KZ9G