[TowerTalk] Foundation too close to Tower??

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:57:40 EST

In a message dated 1/27/02 6:53:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kbgreen@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Re: welding of rebar.
>  There are two types of rebar one is suitable for welding the other is not.
>  Do not have I think they are called ATSM specifications for each, any rebar
>  supplier will advise on proper type to weld.

    Well, the bottom line is what does it say in your tower base specs? I
don't think that UST base specs or building department codes allow for
welding the rebar. Even those huge rebar structures used for building and
highway bridge footings are tied and not welded.

    While the rebar cage isn't typically structural (it's to keep the
concrete from shrinking and cracking), you still need to observe the LXC
Prime Directive to "DO what the manufacturer says".

    I've built dozens of rebar cages using tie wire and while it might be a
little slower, it works just fine. You just have to add some diagonal pieces
on the sides to give it some rigidity.

    Here's what you want to do. First, get the backhoe in to dig the hole.
Either have the rebar cage done or at least finished when the hole is done.
Have the backhoe pick up the cage and drop it into the hole. Then you can tie
the anchor bolt 'fixture' to the rebar cage and if none of the rebar is
touching the earth and any additional forms are done, then you're basically
ready to pour.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech