[Towertalk] Coax conduit

Paul McInnish - Home Paul McInnish - Home" <k4bet@bellsouth.net
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 18:02:56 -0400

Dave... a minor suggestion... use a direct burial coax and perforated
conduit... if not the conduit will "sweat" and will perpetually stay full of
water thus soaking the coax... use the conduit to only protect -
mechanically - the coax and a direct burial coax for protection against
moisture.  The perforated PVC will allow any moisture build-up to drain out.
Also, put a 2-4: bed of gravel in the bottom of your ditch to allow proper
percolation of water away from the conduit and coax.

Also, I would add another conduit WITH pull wires for future uses... one of
the handiest things I ever did was pull some "UF" direct burial AC power
cable & put an AC (weather proof) duplex receptacle at the base of the
tower!

Also, the one with the coax & rotor cables... put a pull wire in it also so
you will - conveniently - have something to pull another cable thru if ever
needed.  Also, when you pull something through... attach another pull wire
and this way you will always have the convenience of NOT having to fish one
through!

Good luck with your project and best 73,

Paul - K4BET

----- Original Message -----
From: "David" <k4zzr@bellsouth.net>
To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 8:33 PM
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax conduit

Getting ready to dig the concrete base for my new tower and plan to run a 1
1/2 inch PVC pipe from my shack about 30' away and up through the concrete
base.  This pipe is big enough to carry several coax lines plus the rotor
cable, so is there any reason I would want to run a separate pipe for
anything else?   The reason I ask is because I see photos of a ham
installing a tower on the texas towers website and he has two PVC conduits
coming up through his concrete base.

David, K4ZZR