[Towertalk] Estimation of yagi windload

jljarvis jljarvis@adelphia.net
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:02:03 -0400

Towertalkians:

In thinking about Eric's question of windload on a helix,
I came to realize I'd never seen a thorough approach to
windload on a yagi.

*  Does anyone have a reference to a published analysis?

*  Thinking about it:

	* To what degree are 'hidden' elements shadowed by
	those before them?  It probably depends on windspeed
	and element diameter, as well as spacing.

	*  My guess is, "not at all", in which case, one sums
	the exposed area of the elements and degrades that by
	whatever the flat/round factor is. (.70?)

	*  Further, I suspect that maximum exposed area occurs
	around 45 degrees, where one takes .707 of the exposed
	boom area, plus .707 of the exposed elements area,
	each multiplied by the flat/round factor, and then summed.

I suspect a search in the IEEE journal might yield something;
that's my next step.

Has anyone seen reference to wind tunnel studies, in support
of mathematical models/approximations?

Jim Jarvis/N2EA