[Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk] F12 C4S

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:20:05 +0200

Transmitting is not everything and a dipole has a low rejection of
unwanted signals from high angles, it's F/S is quite objectionable to
be considered directivity at medium high elevations.
If this were not enough I didn't find any gain by a dipole (half WL
from ground or more) over a quarter wave vertical, on 40m, beyond 1000
miles hops.
Here in south europe, more than sometimes a vertical is quieter and
reduces broadcasting signals so allowing more reception of NA signals
above 7.1 MHz.
Surely, instead of an horizontal dipole I'd go for something with
directivity, like a two element yagi or a set of switchable sloping
dipoles/verticals.
The extra gain over a simple dipole or a vertical will be the marginal
issue, while reception is hundred times better.

73,
Mauri I4JMY