[Towertalk] Inv L

Barry Kirkwood bjk@ihug.co.nz
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:20:09 -0000

I said all things being equal, and unless I know more about the groundplane
arrangements of the L vs the Cushcraft vertical, siting etc can only make
general comments.
However, on the basis of years of experience operating from a town house
before shifting to this QTH would make the following suggestions on small
lot antennas for 80.
(1) if possible roof mount or pole mount the vertical (any vertical) so as
much of it as possible is above power lines, house wiring etc.
(2) use elevated radials, at least one 1/4 wave long even if you have to
snake it around the boundary of the lot.
(3) use a balun to decouple the vert/radial system from the feedline
(4) experiment with dedicated receive antennas such as loops, short sloping
dipoles etc.
Following these principles my 80 m 1/4 wave inverted L with vertical section
only 20ft was vastly superior to a hygain vertical (like 20dB) and worked
many countries on 80cw plus respectable contest places.
The L compared well in comparison with local operators using inverted vees,
full size verticals etc.
73
Barry

end