[Towertalk] mast disaster avoidance

Chris BONDE ve7hcb@rac.ca
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:20:15 -0700

It has been awhile since I have done any mechanical stuff with pulleys.  I
think that you are on the right road but not all the way.

If you are lifting a 100lb weight with one pulley at the top, you need 100+
lbs on the other side to lift it.  I would then say that there is 200+lbs
of weight on the pulley.

If you are lifting a 100lb weight with 2 pulleys at the top and one on the
load, then you have a mechanical advantage and need only 1/3 of 100+ lbs to
lift the weight (I think that that is correct, but it is a lot
less)  Therefore, the total weight on the pulley is 100lbs plus the reduced
amount hence less.

I think that this is correct.

Chris opr VE7HCB