[Towertalk] Cutting Plate?

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:14:35 -0700

Mike: I have an old power hack saw which does an excellent job on 1/4 al
plate. It is the type which is on a floor stand and operates either
vertical or horizontal. I use a fine tooth blade, 24 or 32 tpi for the
job. The secret is to find a saw with a slow speed blade. The only
problem is the throat clearance. If you want to cut large pieces it
would not do the job. By cutting from each end you can handle pieces
suitable for beam mounting plates. The saws are quite cheap, around $200
or so. Mine uses blades 54 inches long, available from Lowes and such
places. I have cut 1/4 steel but the going is slow.
  I have a sawzall and the blade speed is way too fast, it burns up the
blades.

GL, Dan, N5AR