[Towertalk] Hy-Gain HG-54HD crankup tower cable and TH6DXX problems

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:25:12 -0600

I guess it is probably a bad trap, but does this give anyone insight into
the likely element? I suppose I will have to take the whole
antenna down to do anything, so I will inspect and clean them all, but I
wondered if there was a rule of thumb.

Thanks,

Jan, KX2A

It is generally a good idea to disassemble ALL traps,
tighten the screws at each end of the coils,
reassemble the trap cover, replace and tape
the trap covers with Scotch 33 Black Electrical Tape.
Do NOT pull the last turn of tape tight to prevent 'flagging'
and cut with a knife or scissors.

You may also want to clean and re-do each element joint
using Penetrox (AL-AL) or AL-NO-OX.

YES, it's a lot of work, but that is the BEST way too
eliminate problems with Tribanders and insure maximum
longevity until the next repair is needed.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.