[Towertalk] cutting a MAST

llindblom@juno.com llindblom@juno.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:01:04 GMT

Tim, you have to understand that us yanks have an aversion to physical exertion unless it is at a health club that costs $2,000 a year.  We would rather spend $200 for a piece of equipment we will only use once rather than cutting with a hacksaw for 15 minutes.  Also, less time spent cutting the mast means more the time at the pub for a pint or three of stout.  The Irish half of me of course appreciates that extra pub time;-)

73 W0ETC

---------- "Tim Makins, EI8IC" <contesting@eircom.net> writes:

From: "Tim Makins, EI8IC" <contesting@eircom.net>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] cutting a MAST
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:18:43 +0100

Here in Ireland they sell a very suitable tool for the job of cutting a
single mast into two pieces. It is shaped like a 'D' on its side, and has a
handle that is held in the hand. You don't need gloves/leather apron/face
mask/helmet as it doesn't throw out metal-filings at high speed. The power
source is whatever you had for breakfast. Operational instructions are to
move it back and forward at a steady pace, whilst thinking interesting
thoughts of life, the universe, and everything. Does the job very well
indeed. Exercise rating: low to medium, so you're unlikely to have a heart
attack, but it is pleasantly refreshing to complete the job, and you might
like a beer during or after completion - it won't create a dangerous
operating situation. Maybe share the exercise with your
son/daughter/wife/buddy, and get a bit of quality time in as well. No need
for a trip to the gym afterwards, so you save money there, too. Its a lot
quieter than a power tool, 50 times cheaper, and as every bit can be
re-cycled, its generally better for the planet, too. Maintenance is minimal,
and it never needs new brushes/fuse/bearings/line cord. We call them a
'hacksaw' - I'm suprised no one else seems to have encountered them.

73s Tim EI8IC