[Towertalk] single point ground

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:12:00 -0400

At 05:35 AM 7/24/02 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:
>I agree as far as grounding to earth, but disagree as far as
>lightning protection. I'm doing something in a similar situation for
>a friend of mine right now.
>
>One of the main goals in adding lightning protection is to clamp
>everything to the same potential so everything moves together.
>Grounding is second in importance to having everything entering the
>room tied together.

Tom, are you saying that, in an extreme case, there might be NO ground
connection in the shack, as long as all the local grounds were tied
together so that they "move together?"  Doesn't there have to be a
low-inductance connection between the station's single point ground and the
AC service ground, to prevent the safety grounds on your equipment from
upsetting the applecart?

In my very old house, with AC wiring of uncertain configuration, there is a
distance of some 45 feet from the 2nd-floor shack entry panel to the AC
service ground, of which 13-14 feet is vertical.  I don't think it is
possible to connect the two so as to hold the shack and the AC service
ground to the same potential during a strike, which is why I have assumed
that disconnection of all conductors from the tower is my only feasible
option.  Am I wrong?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at