[Towertalk] grounding system

Bill Hider (N3RR) n3rr@erols.com
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:22:30 -0400

Hey Guys - It's not true.  Any of the below comments forwarded (">" and
">>") with this message.

There is so much wrong with the below forwarded comments (">" and   ">>")
that I do not have the time to type it all in here.  Here's a short
response:
1.  Engineer your station to  *keep the lightning out*.
2.  High floor hamshack locations need to have their SPG lightning
protection at a ground level entry-point.  From there, run your coax/control
cables inside.
3.  Check out the appropriate design/photos/discussion on my website
www.erols.com/n3rr
4.  Read the PolyPhaser book(s)
5.  Read other lightning protection books.

With a properly designed and implemented grounding system, lightning will
*ignore* your premises as the storm progresses through your neighborhood and
*around* your properly grounded tower/feedlines/SPG, QTH, etc.

It happens all the time in my location, as it does in many hams locations
(the storm splitting and going around properly grounded towers and QTHs).

That's how you protect from a direct hit - you don't allow any build-up of
static and hence, no arc-over (lightning).

I don't have time now for reply comments - I'm headed out of town for the
week.
Doubters, do a bit more research on the subject.  How do commercial radio
stations stay on the air 24/7 with all of their equipment connected.

BTW, as I have said before here, I keep my IC-781, IC-4KL, 4 Packet radios,
6 rotor control boxes, 2 ham PCs, phone lines, modems, and 5 other PCs in my
house connected at all times.  Never had a hit that affected me (direct or
otherwise) - except once when I removed the equipment grounds on my rotor
control boxes briefly and had to replace a diode in each after a storm.

Think about it.

Bill, N3RR