[Towertalk] Coupling phyllistran to ehs

Mike Gilmer, N2MG n2mg@eham.net
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 05:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

In PLP's (maker of Big Grips) instruction sheet they
go one step further - they state that thimbles (when
used alone as in thimble-to-thimble joints) have been
known to collapse (under "high tension" - not defined)
and they recommend using a cylinder of sorts
(bolt/pin/insulator) on which to wrap the thimbles,
thus providing additional support.

Texas Towers suggested I use a pin shackle at that
joint, but the radius of these shackles is so small
that I can't imagine them helping very much.

Since I have more insulators than thimbles I
considered using them at this junction (though I
hate "wasting" them this way - I can buy thimbles
locally, not so insulators).

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com