[Towertalk] Prop-Pitch

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:46:42 -0700

Hi Greg: You are correct, they are mounted to a plate with a  hole in it
large enough to let the output shaft pass thru it. The unit shown in the
ebay add is missing a large bevel gear which mounts to the splined
output shaft. Most people weld a bushing to the bevel gear for attaching
the tubular mast and the bevel gear takes the vertical load. It is
possible to use the splined shaft for output by machining a mating
bushing.
  You do need a direction indicator. If the bevel gear is on the unit,
some people make a large gear out of sheet metal the same diameter which
will mesh with it to rotate a potentiometer or selsyn. Some of the PP
mod articles have dimensions so you can make it with a drill and a file.
I have used sprocket and chain drive as well as a small dial cable and
pulley arrangement to turn a potentiometer.
  It is essential that the top of the unit and the indicator you use be
protected from weather. I have seen PP motors in flea markets which were
not protected and the bevel gear and the ball bearings beneath it are
rusted.
  M2 sells a modified version of their OR 2800 control and indicator box
for PP motors. You attach a small magnetic pickup to the motor shaft
which generates pulses as you rotate and the unit supplies power for the
motor.. The price is around $500 I believe.

73, Dan, N5AR