[Towertalk] NVIS antenna--reflector addition

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 22:36:42 -0400

The ground is a reflector, but it is a lossy reflector.

Best 75 degree numbers I can get for a dipole using earth as reflector
are around 6 or 7 dbi.

I'm not sure what figures you were using for an NVIS antenna, but try
this out (7.025 MHz)

Upper wire = 67.5 feet long, 47.7 feet high
Lower wire = 68.4 feet long, 7.4 feet high

I get 11 dbi at 75 degrees with 11.4 dbi straight up.

The maximum NVIS signal I can get for a single wire = 67.3 feet long,
14.3 feet high. which is just under 8 dbi straight up.

That's 3 1/2 db extra signal from the reflector, unless you consider
3.5 db superfluous.

And I suspect you didn't have the program which would search out the
maximum for the single wire NVIS

The two wire is a very doable 40 meter NVIS antenna.

73, Guy.