[Towertalk] MFJ 890

Jim Lux jimlux@earthlink.net
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:58:40 -0700

I've used this software (with a FT-757GX and homebuilt RS232 interface), and it works quite nicely.  One mode has a global map that lights up the beacon that's currently "hot".

The only tricky part is that your PC has to be properly synchronized (to a few tenths of a second) to UTC.  If you have a TAC/GPS interface this is trivial, otherwise, a steady hand on the mouse click and a receiver tuned to WWV would work.  (I think it would be cool to modify the BeaconSee program to tune to and listen to WWV and demodulate the time code and synchronize the PC automatically...)