[Towertalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] XR dilemma

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:32:41 -0400

Dear Tom,

Rant mode on:

YES, BUT...   The same problem I ran into the last time I tried to
chase down VALIDATION of this angle business.

The N6BV "STUDY" you quote is a RE-REPRESENTATION OF MODEL DATA. The
presentation of the model has been revised to make it more useful.
It's still just IonCap.

Where are the original actual incoming angle measurements and
measurement methods for all this stuff? Where is the "How to make an
incoming angle detector" section in the ARRL Handbook.

Everything I've been able to find on it is a model, based upon a
model, based upon a model, based upon a model....

 WHERE'S THE BEEF?????  WHERE'S THE REAL DATA, THE PEER REVIEWED
METHODS? ANYBODY KNOW?

Worse, you construe the method as being RESTRICTIVE (if the model
doesn't predict it, it can't occur or only rarely) when the text I
have read about it honestly represents the method as merely PREDICTIVE
(if the model predicts it, it's attempting to predict the MOST LIKELY
occurrence).

Beyond that, it makes no statement regarding unusual or non-pro-forma
propagation.

I am struck by the persistence of arguments based upon "authoritative
sources". The whole premise of the scientific movement was to remove
"authoritative sources" from the loop and make such things based on
reproducible experimental data and methods, with both data and methods
in the open for peer review.

As to skip angles, and your stated method, then just how DO you
explain working all the adjoining states from Kentucky using 50 watts
and a 15 foot high 15 meter dipole? All sunspots you say? Doesn't
N6BV's methodology take sunspots into account? Don't we still get
sunspots?

And you can quit bringing up your 40 foot comparison. I never argued
about that. I just said a low dipole would beat a C31XR operating on
18.1., a frequency it wasn't designed for. You said most of the
radiation would go into outer space. I quoted Kentucky. You quoted
N6BV.

There was a period of time when we didn't know about radio.
Authoritative sources said there was no such thing. There was a period
of time where we didn't know about the E layer or the F2 layer.
Authoritative sources made no mention. There was a long period we
thought 160 meters went dead when the sunspots were up. Authoritative
publications said so.

For a long time the ARRL published a 468/f as the measurement for a
dipole. It's no longer in their publications. We learned that the
complexity of ground interaction varied the length of a resonant
dipole. I have my own story to tell about blind acceptance of the
ARRL-ingrained 468/f.

There is a lot of unexplained anecdotal material about propagation
floating around. Now unless everyone with an unexplained happening is
a liar, idiot, or non compos mentis...

Might there not be something yet undiscovered about propagation, that
will seminally revise our models and predictions?

Or has everything already been discovered and explained? And all
propagation doomed to obey IonCap.

When NEC first came out, there was a great deal of glee trying out the
new antenna designer programs. Peer review kept coming up with
anecdota where what was happening was NOT what was predicted. In a
progression of maturations we got stepped diameter corrections, ground
conductivity corrections, bent wire corrections, etc, etc, and a host
of carefully defined boundary conditions that caused the models to go
haywire, and had to be avoided or worked around. NEC 4 is **STILL** an
ongoing collaborative evolution.

Where is this maturation process for the incoming angle prediction
models? We seem to have lots of anecdota, no matura.

Rant mode off:

73, Guy