[Towertalk] 40 meters

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 05:00:50 -0600

Hello Kelly,

For Field Day, I used a 50 ft high inverted vee (120 degree apex angle)
aimed at W8 and a vertically polarized Delta Loop aimed at W6.  The
Delta Loop gives me 6 to 10 dB improvement to the West Coast after
11 pm local time.  The antennas are approximately perpendictular
to each other.  IMHO, it is NOT worth making a Horizontally Polarized
Delta Loop unless you can get the apex much higher (80 to 120 ft)
since the effective height is so close to the *bottom* wire.  This is
not a problem for VERTICALLY polarized loops.

For the last two years, I've added a 70 ft reflector to the inverted vee
and it has been a KILLER, allowing us (K4BFT)  to overtake the
20 / 80 CW station for the first time ever.  We use the 40M inverted
vee in 15M where it performs quite well.  With the 120 degree apex
angle, the pattern nulls fill in fairly well, giving us an almost omni-
directional pattern on 15M.  We use the 40M Delta Loop on 10M
to pick up a few extra contacts on that band as well.

Tom  N4KG  in ALA