[Towertalk] Yaesu indicator

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:34:08 -0500

At 12:43 PM 3/6/02 -0800, gary stilwell wrote:
>1--  The rotator was used extensively last week with all the DX activity and
>also over the weekend with the DX contest.  Problem DID NOT  resolve itself.
>
>2--Yaesu suggested I plug the control box into a seperate dedicated AC plug
>rather that a plug serving other accessories.   This DID NOT resolve the
>problem.

Hmmm... do you have any connectors in the line between the back of the
controller and your rotator (other than the factory ones?  My suspicion has
been that my Cinch-Jones plugs are the source of the problem.  I have
treated the connectors with DeOxit, which seems to make it go away.

In my case, a milder version of the problem has the rotator seeming to be
slow to stop and slow to start up.  Problem was also traced to excessive
resistance in the C-J plug.

A dedicated AC plug is snake oil.

Are you confident that it's just the controller and not the antenna itself?
 I'm thinking perhaps the brake isn't engaging immediately, so the antenna
overshoots.  I do know that in the new-style control boxes the indicator
isn't on all the time, but only when the button is pressed in one or the
other direction

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at