[Towertalk] Grounding an Elevated vertical

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:20:15 -0500

THREE sources of loss in a vertical system.

1) loss in the current sink, solved with elevated radials or a dense
radial system.

2) E-plane penetration of the ground and resultant lossy current
immediately below. Solved with moderate DENSE ground screen. The worst
loss is right underneath, so even radials shorter than 1/4 will help.
You're trying to make the ground immediately underneath appear highly
conductive.

3) loss in the FIRST BOUNCE, losing reinforcement (up to 3 db) in the
pattern at far field. This loss is most pronounced at very low angles
because the bounce point is farther away as the angle goes down. 1/4
wave radials give reinforcement at important angles for a
ground-mounted vertical. The reinforcement retreats upward with added
height.

This can be solved by extension of the ground field, though this gets
to be a severe economic problem in a hurry. Again, for elevated
radials the bounce point for a given angle takeoff moves farther away
as height increases. This is elegantly solved by operation on a
saltwater beach, where the reinforcement at very low angles over the
sea is spectacular, with spectacular results.

If one is in an environment with substantial ground clutter, where you
are not going to get that bounce reinforcement in any case (think
urban), then elevation will improve things by getting over the clutter
and allowing lower angle radiation just at all. So this is a highly
situational consideration.

73, Guy.