[Towertalk] Grounding an Elevated vertical

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:54:09 EST

In a message dated 3/11/02 10:35:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
k2av@contesting.com writes:

>  3) loss in the FIRST BOUNCE, losing reinforcement (up to 3 db) in the
>  pattern at far field. This loss is most pronounced at very low angles
>  because the bounce point is farther away as the angle goes down. 1/4
>  wave radials give reinforcement at important angles for a
>  ground-mounted vertical. The reinforcement retreats upward with added
>  height.
>
>  This can be solved by extension of the ground field, though this gets
>  to be a severe economic problem in a hurry. Again, for elevated
>  radials the bounce point for a given angle takeoff moves farther away
>  as height increases. This is elegantly solved by operation on a
>  saltwater beach, where the reinforcement at very low angles over the
>  sea is spectacular, with spectacular results.

Question that is bothering me:

If we have vertical installed over sloping terrain, how does that affect the
far field effect on the radiation pattern close to horizon? Do we see some
"salt water" effect?

Can't remember seeing on this in literature, can TA or experience provide
some answers?

Yuri, K3BU