[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:39:20 -0800

you want to know what helpless is....

Helpless is watching a foldover tower crash into the ground because the weld
on the manufacturer's winch spool broke...

This happened on my mother's birthday one year - and she at the time was an
ardent DXer...talk about a lousy Birthday...a beautiful Telrex yagi reduced
to an ugly mess...not because the installation was incorrect...not due to
overloading...but due to a mechanical failure that never could happen on a
fixed tower...

Fixed towers are simple structures...less to break - Keep It Simple Stupid
is good logic for radio towers...don't get fancy - stay simple and avoid
potential heartache and injury.

If you have to have a crankdown foldover because you do not climb you are
wrong - you can take the cost of a crank down foldover and subtract the
money a fixed tower costs...put it in a savings account and when you need to
service the tower pay someone to do it...better yet be an Elmer to a young
ham who cannot afford the big stuff...

I have known hams who have lost fingers and toes and myself been scared out
of my wits by a telescoping tower that suddenly decided it wanted to nest
another inch...

In all my time climbing tower I never felt the fear I felt climbing at a
height of 15 or 20 feet when that tower suddenly nested a little more - even
when I climbed to the top of K4XS' 199 footer to help him install a 40 meter
yagi I was tired as heck up there but it never occurred to me to be
worried...

Check out what you are shelling out for the collapsible foldovers...compare
the price to a fixed tower....there is NO comparison...put that money in the
bank...and save yourself some fingers and toes.

73,

Jim, K4OJ