[Towertalk] lpda's

jljarvis jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:23:47 -0500

This thread is interesting....I'm in process of designing
a new antenna/tower system for Summer installation.  Need
to decide between an LPDA and ham-band Yagi.

With respect to LPDA's, I had a Cushcraft 2010, and now have
a Tennadyne T8.  In Vermont.  The Tenadyne has tolerated wx,
and serious abuse from falling white pine branches.

The 2010 doesn't like precipitation.  Phasing lines are exposed
to the weather.   By contrast, Tennadyne's design uses the boom
as a transmission line, and alternates elements between upper and
lower sides of the boom.

The Tennadyne construction is robust, and was easily assembled.
Cushcraft was flimsy, and had a lot of little pieces to be concerned
with. It didn't go together as quickly as the Tennadyne.
This is first-hand experience.

Has anyone modelled a kt34a?  or XA?  I'd like to compare it against an
LPDA on an 18 ft boom.

Jim Jarvis
Keithley Instruments
Essex Vermont