[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:50:11 -0500

On 3/14/02 11:26 PM, K7LXC@aol.com at K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 3/14/02 7:41:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, w2rds@arrl.net
>writes:
>
>> I do not have any direct experience with this but I do not that some towers
>>  have a mechanism to provide support of the tower in the extended position
>>  other than relying on the cable.
>
>    No they don't unfortunately.

Steve, actually, these exist.

A local ham has a crank-up that has some sort of flip-over device at the
end of each section. It locks the next section to the previous one and
takes the strain off the cable.

This particular type of crank-up is DESIGNED to be GUYED. Because of
this, the flip-over devices convey the guy tension directly from section
to section, and do not put the guy tension on the crank-up cable.

Now, such a crank-up cannot be easily raised or lowered. It is intended
to be lowered only for antenna maintainence. Not approaching weather.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901