[Towertalk] deed restrictions restrict not only antennas

Richard M. Gillingham rmoodyg@concentric.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:38:21 -0500

Amen, Amen...

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  CC&Rs are fine for the folks
who want them, but ar a bain for  Amateur Radio's future.  Again and
again this thread has brought up the difficulty in recruiting or
Elmering new hams when after all is said and done they won't be able to
practice their art.  My mom lived near you (Venice - Englewood) in a
beautiful condominium community of separate homes.  They're absolutely
adamant there that nothing blemish their image.  When I asked what they
planned to to for communications if a substantial storm knocks out the
local LL and Cellular systems, she blythely stated they knew a local
(not a resident of THEIR community) ham who would assist.  I hit the
roof.

For every ham that refuses to purchase in a community with CC&Rs, there
are a hundred non-hams who think the concept is devinely inspired and
jump at the chance.

ARRL is tackling Congress to nullify restrictions to amateur radio
antenna support structures...
Trouble is I think ARRL has bitten off a really big chew, and whereas
money (Developers and HOAs with restrictive CC&Rs)  talks, the Congress
isn't about to bite the hands that reelect them..   Remember, neither
life nor property is safe while Congress is in session...

Good luck to all.
73
Gil, W4PJI