[Towertalk] tilted LPDAs

Bob Nielsen nielsen@oz.net
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:50:38 -0800

It has been about 35 years since I have done any work in this area, but
I recall that the type of "tilted" antenna described was generally
referred to simply as a log-periodic array, not a log-periodic dipole
array. A number of the early log-periodic antennas used elements with a
geometry similar to a half-dipole, but the width, as well as the length
increased proportionally with wavelength (in some cases, the element
thickness did likewise, but normally these were two-dimensional,
leading the elements to often be referred to as "teeth".)

IIRC, the LPDA where all the elements lie in a single plane (or two
parallel planes), fed by parallel booms does not have quite as much
bandwidth as some of the other geometries which have been used for
quasi-frequency-independent antennas, since not all of the dimensions
scale with frequency (~5:1 or less, compared to >20:1 in some cases).

73, Bob N7XY