[Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection

Pete Goudreau goudpj@mac.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:31:11 -0600

After some research, including towertalk archive searches, it looks
like the only protection units out there for control and rotator
cables are shunt types - Polyphaser and I.C.E. come to mind.  While
researching the topic, there also seems to be a goodly number of
stories of lightning surges getting past exploding MOVs in said
protectors and blowing up most of the equipment in the shack.

Not being much of a fan of MOVs in the first place, I figured there
had to be some series type protectors out there somewhere but I'm not
finding them at all.  Design is relatively easy but extremely
difficult to test correctly.

Anybody have any suggestions as to the safest way to keep the lines
connected but well suppressed?

Thanks in advance,
Pete, AD5HD (ex-WB5RKC)