[Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:52:40 -0500

Pete,

Best bet for power line induced lightning surge is to add an in-line
inductor between the power company and the MOVs. I gave details on same
(and may other tips on preventing lightning damage from HF-UHF) in "VHF/UHF
World-Protecting Equipment", Ham Radio Magazine, June 1985. pp. 83-94.

You need an inductor with an inductance of 50-100 Microhenries. This is
easily done by winding 120-170 turns of  #18 AWG (or larger) wire on a 1"
diameter dowel. Do not use ferrite! The MOV will then do the cleanup.

73,

Joe, W1JR