[Towertalk] When are permits needed for antennas?

ag0n@arrl.net ag0n@arrl.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:28:24 -0700

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:34:49 -0800, Dana Roode wrote:

> Dumb question - what criteria do counties typically use to decide whether or
> not a building permit is required?

Obviously, there are benefits to living in a rural area like this, and
your experience will NO DOUBT vary from mine.  But since you asked...

A situation presented itself a few years ago where I could obtain a
commercial 220 foot self supporting tower for the cost of moving it.
Other aspects of the situation didn't turn out, but I did some checking
with the county here.  I'm about 5 miles from the center of town, in the
country.  The county wasn't even interested.  They said they wouldn't
care unless it was some 300' or so, and then it would be just a cursory
look-see, and maybe a permit.  Nothing required otherwise.  I could put
the 220 footer up without saying anything to anyone local as far as they
were concerned.

In my case, airport concerns could have been a problem, but the county
wasn't.

Gary
--
There is no x in my ISPs domain name.