[Towertalk] Tower + Hazer package

BobK8IA@aol.com BobK8IA@aol.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:32:38 EST

I wonder if some of the structural guys on towertalk can address something re
Glen Martin Tower/Hazer packages. I have always had an intuitive problem (if
not an engineering one) with GUYED ALUMINUM towers. The Glen Martin amateur
line appears to be bolted construction 6061-T6 aluminum. It would seem to me
that any wind force on a guy is transmitted as vertical load to the tower. If
so, is the aluminum tower sections that Glen Martin uses structurally
adequate in UBC loads?

I am looking for an engineering opinion here, and/or an opinion from Steve
K7LXC or one of the other long time riggers that have seen it "all". I have
just never been comnfortable thinking about using aluminum for anything
serious, and certainly not guying it. Is my "intuition" over-ruling good
engineering or what? Thanks!

73
Bob K8IA
Michigan USA