[Towertalk] Trylon Towers

Byron Tatum bjtatum@ev1.net
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:57:29 -0600

Hello all - I see some questions raised about the Trylon towers. I have
installed a Trylon T-500-72 in the recent past and offer these comments:
    1. The tower was represented to me to have a windload rating of 45 sq.
ft. I assumed this rating was in the same terms as the Rohn 100 MPH rating,
but after I buy the tower I found out the rating was at 70 MPH. I guess that
could be termed my mistake as I did not think about the difference in wind
speeds, but then I feel a reputable dealer would make sure that you are
aware of this. Windload at 100 MPH is only 7sq. ft.
    2. I was told by the dealer that the tower was hot dipped galvanized
after fabrication, and that all hardware was hot dipped.This is not the
case. The tower is made from "pre-galvanized sheet steel" and only about 1/4
of the hardware is hot dipped.
    3. To be perfectly honest I am disappointed in the lack of robustness in
the sections as they get smaller. There is just not enough meat in them for
my likings. There is absolutely no way I would even think about adding
another section on this 72' tower, and I have the heaviest one {#13 base}
there is, with over 10 yds. of concrete in base. I am not very comfortable
working on this top section, as the cross members  twist and give as you
grip them.
    Anyway, these are my observations. WA5tHJ.
By the way, I highly do NOT recommend a certain Trylon dealer in Canada, who
made buying two Trylon towers an absolute NIGHTMARE!