[Towertalk] TR44 rotor slips.

WA2BPE wa2bpe@exotrope.net
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:50:34 -0500

Jim,  I believe that the TR44 "brake" is basically a friction ring mounted on
the motor armature.  When power is applied, the armature is pulled up into the
stator field to do its rotation duties.  When in the no power position, the
armature drops to rest on a plate built into the motor assembly and though low
in weight/mass, it relies on the gearing to translate that to a sufficient
braking force.  If this is worn, broken, or possibly oil-soaked, it slips.
Norm's or Craig (at Rotor Doc) can give you the difinitive answer.  Your clamps
aren't slipping, it's (as you have observed) the brake.  I used one of these
rotators - once - but never again just because of this problem.  The "wedge" is
better (though it can hang up); the ultimate answer for 100% braking is a worm
gear.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE