[Towertalk] Crank-up tower lube

Tom Anderson ww5l@gte.net
Wed, 01 May 2002 09:59:20 -0500

Steve:

If W3PT's tower is like my TriEx the problem is in the Fulton winch.  The Fulton
winch supplied with the tower and in 1992 and since replaced has a disc brake
system to hold the sections up.  When you lower it the disc pads screech like
crazy, even though they release slightly when cranking down, loud enough to wake
the dead and most of the neighborhood.  On mine I wouldn't want to put grease on
those fiber disc brake pads.  The pads are good for maybe 6-7 years in the
weather before they start deteriorating, then its a problem to disassemble the
winch to replace them.  TriEx used to supply a winch with a positive locking
lever system, but this fiber pads thing is for the birds.

Tom, WW5L